Gold Stars in Baltimore Auction|
June 27, 2013
Nearly $6 million was realized by Stack’s Bowers Galleries’ official Whitman Coin and Collectibles Expo held June 20-21 with an online portion closing June 25.
Among the important lots, an 1870-CC gold $20 called genuine by the Professional Coin Grading Service was bid to $141,000, including a 17.5 percent buyer’s fee.
The coin, which has EF details, is from the William Porter Collection. The catalog description said: “pale green and apricot-tinged surfaces show well struck design motifs with the usual minor softness through the right hand stars on the obverse.”
Also noted by the description was that “surfaces are somewhat bright, perhaps from an old cleaning, which resulted in the PCGS Genuine designation.”
Only 55 to 65 pieces likely survive from the original mintage of 3,789 pieces.
The firm said that the research and experience of Q. David Bowers confirms that for the years 1870 through 1872 most of the double eagles struck at the Carson City Mint stayed close to their point of issue, as few have turned up in the usual export channels that went to Europe.
No 1870-CC is known to exist in Mint State.
A PCGS proof-64 cameo 1879 $4 gold Stella with Flowing Hair in a PCGS Secure Holder fetched $164,500.
A 1792 half disme, LM-1, Judd-7, Pollock-7, the only known dies, Rarity-4, PCGS Fine-15, brought $58,750.
An 1880 Shield nickel in an PCGS MS-65 Secure holder found a buyer at $73,496.
Bringing $44,062 was an 1846-O Seated Liberty silver dollar graded MS-64 by PCGS.
Overall, prices realized totaled $5,839,235.
For more information, visit www.stacksbowers.com.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• Get the U.S. Coin Collector’s Value Pack at a special price through June 30.
• New bundles for paper money collectors are 50% off for a limited time! Find them here.
• Limited quantities of Australia’s Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake 2013 Silver Coin and the 2013 Mongolia Argali 500 Togrog Silver Coin are here!
• Get exclusive collectors’ value packs at special discounts for investing in collectible coins, world coin collectors and North American coin collectors
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• Get them instantly! Buy digital editions of past issues of World Coin News, Coins Magazine and Coin Market eXpress!
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.