Seal Pup Featured on Pobjoy Coin|
July 03, 2013
Pobjoy Mint has released a new coin on behalf of the South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands Government that depicts a Weddell Seal pup.
The Weddell Seal is native to Antarctica and lives further south than any other mammal. This species was discovered and named in the 1820s during expeditions led by James Weddell, the British sealing captain. The Weddell Seal is remarkable for its ability to survive the bitter Antarctic winters where they spend most of their time in the water to avoid blizzards with only their heads poking through breathing holes in the ice. They are docile and placid animals and can be approached easily.
The coin features a young Weddell Seal pup. These pups are said to be loved for their cute, cat-like whiskered faces and demeanor. The young seals have a grey coat for the first three to four weeks that later turns to a darker color. When first born, the pups are around half the length of their mother and weigh about 55 to 65 pounds. However, these pups grow rapidly, gaining around 4.5 pounds per day.
The obverse of the coin features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley.
The coin is available to collectors in cupronickel and proof sterling silver version. Each precious metal has been struck four times to produce the Pobjoy proof finish with the seal pup contrasted in relief. Both versions measure 38.60 mm in diameter and weigh 28.28 grams.
The cupronickel coin has an unlimited mintage while the sterling silver piece is capped at 10,000.
For more information on these and other coins from Pobjoy, visit its website at www.pobjoy.com.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• Get the U.S. Coin Collector’s Value Pack at a special price through June 30.
• New bundles for paper money collectors are 50% off for a limited time! Find them here.
• Limited quantities of Australia’s Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake 2013 Silver Coin and the 2013 Mongolia Argali 500 Togrog Silver Coin are here!
• Get exclusive collectors’ value packs at special discounts for investing in collectible coins, world coin collectors and North American coin collectors
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• Get them instantly! Buy digital editions of past issues of World Coin News, Coins Magazine and Coin Market eXpress!
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.