More Coins Honor Pope|
July 17, 2013
New coins with papal themes are being issued around the world.
First up are three Cook Islands’ coins struck to mark the historic resignation of Pope Benedict announced on Feb. 11, the first such papal action since the Middle Ages. All three show the same reverse, a frontal bust of Pope Benedict XVI in full regalia, with miter and papal crosier, his right hand extended in blessing. The legend reads RESIGNATION OF BENEDICT XVI / FEBRUARY 28, 2013. The designs on both sides are in matt upon polished fields.
The three coins consist of a 38.61mm proof-like gold-plated copper $1, and a 38.61mm .925 silver $5 proof and an 11mm .9999 gold proof $1. Mintages are 2,013, 2013 and 15,000, respectively.
Three similar coins with the same mintages, and also from Cook, were struck to mark the election of Argentinian Jorge Mario Bergoglio as the 266th leader of the Catholic Church on March 13. As we now all know Cardinal Bergoglio took the name of Pope Francis. This choice of name provided a theme to Palau to issue three coins celebrating Pope Francis’ namesake, Saint Francis of Assisi.
This set consists of three .9999 fine $1 proof coins, all with mintages of 25,000: a 0.5 g and two 1/25th oz, one colored and the other plain.
And it was the Republic of Palau that released a set of three coins to mark the historic meeting of Pope Francis with Pope-emeritus Benedict on March 23.
The coins are a 38.61mm, 25 g gold-plated copper $1, a 38.61mm, 20 g .925 fine silver proof $5, and an 11mm, 0.5 g .9999 fine gold proof $1. Mintages are 2,013, 2,013, and 15,000 respectively. The reverse shows the image that went round the world of the two popes embracing.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• New bundles for paper money collectors are 50% off for a limited time! Find them here.
• Limited quantities of Australia’s Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake 2013 Silver Coin and the 2013 Mongolia Argali 500 Togrog Silver Coin are here!
• Get exclusive collectors’ value packs at special discounts for investing in collectible coins, world coin collectors and North American coin collectors
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• Get them instantly! Buy digital editions of past issues of World Coin News, Coins Magazine and Coin Market eXpress!
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.