1863 $1,000 Featured|
July 23, 2013
An 1863 $1,000 Legal Tender Note, Fr. 186c, described as being part of the “Oat Bin Hoard,” will be a featured attraction in Stack’s Bowers Galleries’ auction at the American Numismatic Association’s World’s Fair of Money in Rosemont, Ill.
The rarity, which is being offered on Aug. 15 as part Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money. Aug. 9-18, is graded PCGS Fine 15 Apparent. It was discovered in 1966 in an old jar in an oat bin on a farmstead in Missouri, according to Peter Treglia of Stack’s Bowers. The jar contained $40,000 in face value and included this rarity, which last sold in 2005 for just under $750,000. “This note is unique as it bears the March 10th 1862 date – the other two [known] are dated 1863,” said Treglia. “The overall appearance is quite nice and better than one would expect after learning about its 90-year storage in a jar in an oat bin.”
The sale also features more than 80 large-size Silver Certificates, described as the finest collection ever assembled. Details of this transaction were featured in the July issue of Bank Note Reporter.
Top lots from The Dr. Edward and Joanne Dauer Collection of Silver Certificates being offered include:
• 1878 $20, Fr. 307, PCGS Very Fine 30;
• 1880 $100 Fr. 340, PCGS Extremely Fine 45;
• 1886 $5, Fr. 262, PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ:
• 1891 $100, FR. 344, PMG About Uncirculated 50.
Catalogs for the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money can be obtained by contacting Stack’s Bowers Galleries at (800) 458-4646 or by email at email@example.com.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• New bundles for paper money collectors are 50% off for a limited time! Find them here.
• Limited quantities of Australia’s Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake 2013 Silver Coin and the 2013 Mongolia Argali 500 Togrog Silver Coin are here!
• Get exclusive collectors’ value packs at special discounts for investing in collectible coins, world coin collectors and North American coin collectors
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• Get them instantly! Buy digital editions of past issues of World Coin News, Coins Magazine and Coin Market eXpress!
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.