$15 Million Set to be Displayed|
A $15 million set of four 1783 Nova Constellatio patterns will be displayed Aug. 13-Aug. 17 at the American Numismatic Association’s World’s Fair of Money in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont.
The unique set is comprised of one copper and three silver coins. It will be at the Professional Coin Grading Service booth as arranged with the help of Kevin Lipton on behalf of the anonymous owner.
“The Nova Constellatio coins arguably are the first patterns for a United States coinage system, and this set of four is one of the great treasures of United States numismatics,” said David Hall, a PCGS co-founder and President of Collectors Universe, Inc.
“Holding the four coins was an amazing experience, he said.
“The denomination indicated on them is simply ‘units.’ They were the brainchild of Robert Morris, the superintendent of finance during the Confederation period,” Hall added.
The copper 5 units is graded PCGS PR66BN. The silver 100 units, also known as a bit, is graded PCGS PR66.
A unique Type 1 silver 500 units (quint) is graded PCGS PR65+. The unique silver 1000 units (mark) is graded PCGS PR65+.
The three silver coins trace their pedigrees back to Charles Thomson, secretary of the Continental Congress, Don Willis, PCGS president said.
All four pieces in the display were once owned by the late John J. Ford Jr. He purchased the previously unknown 5 units after it was found in France in 1977. The other coins he bought from the Garrett Collection in 1979.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• New bundles for paper money collectors are 50% off for a limited time! Find them here.
• Limited quantities of Australia’s Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake 2013 Silver Coin and the 2013 Mongolia Argali 500 Togrog Silver Coin are here!
• Get exclusive collectors’ value packs at special discounts for investing in collectible coins, world coin collectors and North American coin collectors
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year – limited quantities remain!
• Get them instantly! Buy digital editions of past issues of World Coin News, Coins Magazine and Coin Market eXpress!
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.